Monday, April 30, 2007

Computer Mediated Instruction



According to Wikepedia .org, Computer Mediated Communication is a form communication between two or more individual people who interact and/or influence each other via separate computers. According to Tim Daniels and Melinda Pethel, Computer mediated communication has created a major shift in how educators and students feel about teaching and learning. Allowing students to learn in more convenient locations and offer classes at more convenient times. I agree that in some cases that computer learning may be better.

According to Daniels and Pethel, Asynchronous Communication allows participants to post whenever they want to and save their posting. The postings are able to be viewed by participants. Asynchronous technology include: blogs, wikis, bulletin boards, chat (online), email, etc. I myself enjoyed the blogs. According to Daniels and Pethel, the primary benefit of asynchronous communication is its flexibility and ability to fit into everyone’s schedule. Individuals can access the system at their own convience, and many kinds of information including documents and file attachments can be shared. According to Hiltz and Wellman (1997) 52% of the asynchronous classroom students reported that they were more likely to stop attending classes. Without strict deadlines in the asynchronous environment, and with no teacher watching over them, many students fail to contribute to the deliverables. I agree that if there are no strict guidelines the student will stray. It is so easy to apply for an online course, but if you do not have anything that is pushing you to focus and apply your self, then you will not. I am the type of student that I may be able to succeed in the asynchronous environment, because I have my children to provide for. However, I know this would be really hard for me. I need one on one teaching.

According to Daniels and Pethel, Synchronous communication requires the learner and instructor being online at the same time and communicating in real time. Synchronous communication tools are: shared whiteboards, live presentation tools, learner control tools including hand raising, approval feedback and audio/video control, etc. Synchronous classroom interaction allows students to obtain real time interactive feedback from their own computers. According to Hiltz, 2002, classes taught by synchronous technologies have a higher motivation and completion rate than asynchronous technologies. If I took an online course, the synchronous technology will work better for me. I need to be able to ask my teacher questions, when I have a problem. This is how I learn, without some form of hands on teaching, I would be lost. According to Daniels and Pethel, implementing Computer Mediated Communications in the classroom can be used to support a variety of learning experiences. The instructor is not limited to one set of services or tools but can use several to create a learning environment which will best suit his or her student’s learning needs. I agree that if the technology is used in the correct way, it can enhance student’s learning abilities.

Overall, I feel that who ever created computer mediated communication learning is a genius.

No comments: